5 Tips for Healthier Oral Hygiene
Let’s face it: oral hygiene is not on the top of many of our to-do lists. Nearly one-third of Americans might go to the dentist once a year and many don’t even know how to floss properly. Unfortunately, poor oral hygiene is an epidemic that has plagued Americans for longer than we’d like to imagine. Luckily, Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental has compiled a list with five easy how-to’s for a healthier, happier smile.
- Watch what you eat: Crunchy fruits and vegetables can go really far in improving your teeth. Foods like carrots, apples, celery and others can produce more saliva which in turn helps wash away bacteria and plaque.
- Floss, Floss, Floss: Flossing is often overlooked by most people but it is the second most important part of oral health care. Flossing helps catch food caught between teeth and in hard to reach places that can later cause cavities and tooth decay.
- Got milk? Although it might seem like an old wive’s tale, milk has calcium and minerals which can help the overall health of your mouth. Milk also helps strong bones which can improve the strength of of your teeth.
- Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated is essential to many aspects of the body to function properly. Water, specifically tap water, contains fluoride which strengthens teeth and help remove acids in your mouth.
- Black tea: Us Texans love our tea and a recent study by the University of Illinois shows that black tea reduces the amount of bacteria and plaque in your mouth. Don’t drink too much though; tea can stain your teeth if you do not have proper brushing habits.
Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental wants you to have the best and healthiest smile possible. Don’t forget to stop in and visit us at least once a year for a teeth cleaning and check up. Call 210.877.2273 and make an appointment today.[/dt_vc_list]