Comprehensive Regular Checkups
During a regular checkup here at Wurzbach Parkway Family Dentistry, our dentists go above and beyond. Each exam includes a thorough teeth cleaning and a comprehensive examination, and if need they also include digital x-rays. Our leading San Antonio dentists pride themselves in providing these in-depth dental cleanings and check-ups to all of their patients!
Keeping Smiles Healthy and Sparkling
For the most part, dentistry is about preventing tooth pain. The better care you take of your teeth, the less dental work you’ll need in the future. Regular checkups are important to prevent cavities and help diagnose tooth problems early.
Explore All of Our General Services
Our full general dentistry service offerings go well beyond your regular 6-month cleaning and check-ups. Our doctors also specialize in:
Are you in need of more information about our in-depth dental cleanings and check-ups? Explore below and let us know if you have any questions. We’re happy to help schedule the right appointment for your dental needs.
Our dental hygienists at Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental are highly skilled to help give our patients a beautiful, sparkling, healthy smile. Hygienists remove plaque; stains and tartar from the surface of your teeth in order to prevent cavities, bad breath, gingivitis, and periodontal disease. (Click to learn more about periodontal and gum disease.) After your thorough, gentle dental cleaning our hygienists will polish your teeth to a glowing, healthy shine. The hygienist will also discuss any dental hygiene issues and proper oral hygiene techniques, including brushing and flossing. We recommend our patients have an exam and routine teeth cleaning scheduled to maintain optimal health!
- Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental uses Digital 3D X-rays, which utilize a digital sensor instead of traditional photographic film. Digital X-rays use less radiation to produce a more precise digital image so that we may deliver the highest quality of image to our patients.
- Digital dental X-rays offer the best in patient care and are necessary to find cavities, check the health of the tooth root, evaluate the health of the gum and surrounding bone, check the status of tooth development, as well as monitor the overall health of the jawbone. There are several types of X-rays, each one show different aspects of the teeth and bone.
When you come in for your initial visit to Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental your dentist will perform a very thorough assessment of your teeth and gums. Each assessment includes:
- An examination of your mouth, teeth, gums, head, and neck.
- Discussion of your medical history.
- A series of diagnostic X-rays that will allow us to see between your teeth, the root surface and surrounding bone.
- A series of photographs taken of each individual tooth.
- An examination for cavities, gum disease, failing fillings and restoration, misaligned teeth, missing teeth and fractured or broken teeth.
- A thorough visual oral cancer screen.
- An assessment of your gum’s health by taking measurements that allow the doctor to properly diagnose any gingivitis or gum disease.
Our goal is to make your first visit to Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental a comfortable, pleasant experience.
Cavities or dental caries are common in children, teens and adults. Many factors cause tooth decay including not brushing or flossing on a regular basis, drinking sugary drinks [are you a coffee drinker? Read our blog on what that daily latte does to your oral health], sport drinks and frequent snacking. A cavity is a hole in a tooth caused by decay. Decay occurs when plaque, the sticky film forms on tooth and combines with sugars and starches we eat. This process produces an acid that attacks the tooth enamel. It’s important to treat cavities before they result in a painful toothache, tooth infection, the need for a root canal, or tooth extraction. A regular checkup empowers our dentists to spot cavities at the earliest stages and stop tooth decay before it spreads.
The dentist will need to take X-rays in order to properly diagnose cavities that form between the teeth. If you have dental cavities, the dentist will remove the tooth decay and fill the area with a resin filling that matches your tooth shade. If there is an existing large filling, or crack on a tooth that has a cavity we may need to strengthen the tooth by covering it with porcelain. Your tooth will be protected by a beautiful and durable porcelain crown or cap. If the decay is extensive and reaches the nerve a root canal and crown will be necessary. Please treat your cavities early to avoid unnecessary, more costly procedures!
Make sure you are practicing good oral hygiene at home. To make sure you are maintaining good oral hygiene, brush at least twice a day and floss daily. Below are some tips for brushing your teeth.
- Always use a soft or extra soft, bristled tooth brush because hard bristles can damage gums.
- We recommend an electric toothbrush for more effective cleaning.
- Wet the toothbrush and apply a pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
- Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle toward gums. Clean the upper, front teeth first and then the back teeth. Then switch to the lower teeth and be sure to clean the chewing surface and the sides of all teeth.
- Use circular motions, also focusing on the tooth area that is closest to the gums.
- Brushing all of teeth should take approximately 2 minutes.
- Brush your tongue too to prevent bad breath.
- Floss after brushing.
Consult a Wurzbach Parkway Family Dental dentist at the first sign of a toothache or gum issues.