San Antonio Dentist office Bizarre tooth facts
Today from our San Antonio Dentist office we’re going to talk about some bizarre facts about teeth. You might not realize how many things are going on with our teeth, you might be surprised. Let’s get into it.
Bizarre Facts about Teeth from your San Antonio Dentist
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body; however, it’s recommended that you do NOT use your teeth as tools (i.e. bottle opener)
- Tooth plaque holds more than 300 different species of bacteria. Feel like brushing, now?
- The average person spends less than a minute per day brushing their teeth, but as your San Antonio dentist, we recommend at least 2 minutes
- You should store your toothbrush 6 feet away from your toilet in order to avoid floating particles from toilet flushing making their way to your bristles. Mmmm toilet water!
- A prison inmate once braided dental floss into a rope, scaled the wall, and escaped! Your San Antonio dentist says you should use it to clean the 35% of your teeth’s surfaces that you miss by not flossing
- The leading cause of tooth loss for people over the age of 35 is gum disease. Good thing it’s totally preventable
- The first toothbrush with bristles was made in China in 1498, using hair from hogs, horses, and badgers. Badger breath didn’t catch on, I guess
- A snail’s mouth can contain over 25,000 teeth! Unfortunately there isn’t a San Antonio Dentist for snails
- The Romans once used a form of toothpaste concocted from honey and crushed eggshells.
- In Medieval Germany, the only cure for a toothache was to kiss a donkey. Silly Garmany
- The average woman smiles about 62 times per day! A man? Only 8. Why so serious?
- Like your fingerprints, everyone has a unique set of teeth. Even identical twins have different “dental fingerprints”. Your San Antonio Dentist can help you express your individuality
- Need a reason to invest in a mouth guard? Sports-related injuries cause about 5 million missing teeth per year. That’s one busy tooth fairy, or san Antonio dentist
- Cotton candy was originally called, “fairy floss”. It was partly invented by a dentist. Avoid “fairy floss” unless you plan on real flossing right after
Well that’s all the awesome bizarre facts for today. When it comes to dental care, education could be the difference between lots of pain any money. Schedule a visit and keep your smile bright and clean.